If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, it can be difficult to know which way to turn. Confusion, anger, and fear are just a few of the many emotions experienced by arrestees and criminal defendants. One of the best ways to alleviate the anxiety associated with criminal charges is to hire an experienced New York criminal defense attorney. With a dedicated criminal defense attorney on your side, you can rest assured that your rights are protected. Below are some tips on how to choose a New York criminal defense attorney.
1) Specialization – Make sure that the attorney you choose devotes at least a portion of his or her practice to criminal law. In other words, don’t hire an attorney whose sole focus is elder law to handle your criminal law case. Criminal law is extremely complicated, and those who specialize in it are generally the most effective.
2) Experience – After establishing that your prospective attorney specializes in criminal law, you must then determine his or her level of experience in the area. Generally speaking, the more experience an attorney has in criminal law, the better. There is a world of difference between a criminal law attorney who has been practicing for years and a brand new attorney. Go with experience.
3) Availability – When meeting with prospective criminal law lawyers, ask them directly how available they will be to discuss your case with you. Ideally, you should choose an attorney who will be responsive to your questions and concerns. In addition, before hiring an attorney, make sure you know exactly who you will be working with on the majority of your case. Firms sometimes assign more than one attorney to a case, and you should make sure that you are comfortable working with the attorney that you’re likely to spend the most time with.
4) Cost – Cost is important when choosing a criminal defense attorney. However, you shouldn’t choose an attorney solely based on cost. There are a number of factors that go into an attorney’s fees, including
- Case complexity
- Estimated length of your case
- The attorney’s caseload
- Whether the attorney charges a flat fee or hourly
Make sure you discuss these factors with your prospective attorney before making your decision.
5) Trustworthiness – Finally, make sure you hire an attorney that is trustworthy. There are a number of ways to determine this, including:
- Reviewing his or her past results
- Ensuring that he or she is in good standing with the New York bar
- Speaking to former clients
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, trust your instincts. If you get along well with a prospective attorney and feel like have a good connection, this is a positive sign.
New York Criminal Defense Attorneys
If you’ve been charged with a crime in New York, it’s imperative that you engage the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney in order to achieve the best possible outcome in your criminal case. At Barket Epstein, our experienced New York criminal defense attorneys will ensure that you are fully apprised of your legal rights and provided with the most effective defense possible. Please contact one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys today for a consultation.