Criminal Appeals Lawyers in New York
Serving Suffolk & Nassau Counties from Manhattan, Garden City & Huntington
Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP’s Appellate and Post-Judgment Litigation Group is led by Donna Aldea, a renowned New York appellate attorney with 20 years’ experience in handling criminal and civil appeals and post-judgment motions at both the state and federal level. With over 200 published decisions that have shaped and often changed the landscape of state and federal law, many of which have made front-page news in the New York Law Journal, New York Times, and local press, our expertise will provide a litigation strategy designed to maximize available post-judgment remedies, and will ensure a clear and persuasive presentation of your strongest case to an appellate tribunal, helping you achieve the best possible results.
Appeals are highly complex and require a strong showing of evidence to overturn the conviction. Appellate and post-judgment litigation not only follows different procedural rules, but also requires a very different skill-set than trial work, emphasizing legal research, detailed analysis, and sharp writing, rather than the fact-based evidence review, witness examination, and courtroom jury-argument essential to trial work. A good trial lawyer is simply not a substitute for an experienced appellate attorney in New York. This is highly specialized work, which requires a specialized lawyer. Barket Epstein has the resources, knowledge, and experience to help you seek your desired outcome.
To discuss your appeal with New York appellate lawyers who have the unique skills and experience to help you, call (888) 779-0267. Your initial consultation is free.
Areas of New York Appellate Expertise
Our areas of appellate expertise in the realm of criminal law include:
- New York State: direct appeals to the Appellate Term, Appellate Division, and New York Court of Appeals to challenge a criminal conviction based on errors appearing on the trial record; defending against People’s appeals; motions for leave to appeal from denial of prior appeals and post-judgment motions.
- Federal: direct appeals to the United States Circuit Courts, and United States Supreme Court; defending against Government’s appeals; motions for permissive appeals from denials of petitions for habeas corpus or 2255 motions; petitions for Writ of Certiorari.
Examples of Criminal Post-Judgments & Interlocutory Motions
We have handled criminal post-judgment and interlocutory motions including the following and more:
- Motion for change of venue
- Post-verdict/pre-sentence motion to set aside the verdict pursuant to CPL §330.30 on grounds of legal error, improper conduct by a juror, or newly discovered evidence.
- Motion to vacate judgment or vacate sentence pursuant to CPL §440.10 and §440.20 on grounds of actual innocence, ineffective assistance of counsel, invalid pleas or failure to advise of deportation and other consequences, off-the-record constitutional errors, prosecutorial misconduct, failure to disclose required discovery or exculpatory evidence (Rosario/Brady violations), and sentencing errors.
- Motion for post-conviction DNA testing pursuant to CPL §440.30.
- Applications for Stay of Execution of Judgment Pending Appeal, which helps ensure that many of our clients remain at liberty even after their sentence is imposed, while their appeals are pending.
In the specialized area of appellate law, there is no substitute for our attorneys’ level of experience. Don’t take any chances the second time around – contact our New York criminal appeal lawyers at (888) 779-0267.
A Nationwide Influence
Barket Epstein's attorneys are regularly featured in the media to discuss their recent cases or offer insight on current events.
Over Two Centuries of Combined Experience
Barket Epstein has 13 attorneys who collectively bring over 200 years of experience to each case. Our team is comprised of former judges, former prosecutors, professors and true thought leaders in our fields.
A Comprehensive Team Approach
Given the experience and knowledge we have amongst the attorneys at our firm, we utilize a team approach. Each client benefits from the expertise of several attorneys, not just the one assigned to their case.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our Criminal Defense team has represented over 1,000 clients with charges ranging from DWI to homicide.
Three Convenient Office Locations
Our firm offers clients three convenient locations in Garden City, Manhattan, and Huntington.