New York ASSAULT DEFENSE ATTORNEY
Representing Individuals Throughout Manhattan, Nassau & Suffolk Counties
Our New York assault defense lawyers at Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP provides skilled and effective legal defense for those accused of and/or charged with assault in New York. Our team includes renowned New York criminal defense attorneys with over 200 years of combined experience across all areas of criminal law. As former prosecutors, public defenders, and judges, we understand the criminal justice system and how to thoroughly prepare your case and aggressively advocate for you, your rights, and your freedom. This diverse and extensive experience translates into better, swifter results for our clients.
Contact our New York assault attorneys at (888) 779-0267 to arrange a free initial consultation and evaluation of your case. We serve clients across the tri-state area from offices in Huntington, Garden City, and Manhattan.
Understanding New York's Assault Laws
Assault may be charged as a felony or misdemeanor in accordance with Article 120 of New York Penal Law. Penalties typically range from jail time to up to 25 years in prison, depending on mitigating or aggravating factors, and the circumstances surrounding the alleged incident. Those convicted of assault also face steep fines, along with other criminal and societal consequences.
When is Assault Charged as a Felony in New York?
In New York, one may be charged with either felony or misdemeanor assault. Felony assault requires intent on the part of a defendant to cause serious physical harm to another human being. In New York, the crime of felony assault is classified as follows:
First Degree Felony Assault – A defendant can be charged with first-degree felony assault:
- When he, she, or an accomplice causes serious physical injury to a person other than one of the participants while committing or attempting to commit a felony.
- When he or she uses a deadly weapon or another dangerous instrument to cause serious physical injury to an individual.
- When he or she seriously and permanently disfigure another person or destroys, disables, or amputates a part of a person’s body with the intent to cause such injury.
- When he or she engages in reckless conduct that creates a serious risk of death to another person and results in serious physical injury.
Second Degree Felony Assault – A defendant can be charged with second-degree felony assault:
- When he or she intentionally causes serious physical injury to a person.
- When he or she uses a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument to intentionally cause physical injury to a person.
- When he or she interferes with the official duties of certain public officials.
What are the Penalties for Felony Assault in New York?
- First Degree Felony Assault – First-degree felony assault in New York is classified as a Class B felony, and it carries a possible prison sentence of between three and twenty-five years.
- Second Degree Felony Assault – Second-degree felony assault in New York can result in a possible prison sentence of between three and seven years. However, for certain defendants, such as those who aren't repeated offenders, it’s possible for a conviction of second-degree felony assault to result in an incarceration period of up to one year.
Felony assault in New York is a serious crime that can result in severe penalties. Therefore, if you’ve been charged with the crime of assault or felony assault in New York, it’s imperative that you engage the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney in order to achieve the best possible outcome in your criminal case. At Barket Epstein, our experienced New York assault defense attorneys will ensure that you are fully apprised of your legal rights and provided with the most effective defense possible.
Our highly skilled New York assault defense attorneys, who come equipped with a long track record of success both in negotiating favorable plea bargains and in reaching favorable outcomes in the courtroom, will fight tirelessly to ensure that your rights are protected. Our New York assault defense attorneys’ sheer amount of experience alone is sufficient to put us ahead of the competition in every way, but we top this with our commitment to your rights and freedom. Our firm stands ready to defend your interests.
Our firm is nationally recognized as a leader in the field of criminal defense and we have successfully represented thousands of clients in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, Manhattan, and the entire tri-state area.
A Nationwide Influence
Barket Epstein's attorneys are regularly featured in the media to discuss their recent cases or offer insight on current events.
Over Two Centuries of Combined Experience
Barket Epstein has 13 attorneys who collectively bring over 200 years of experience to each case. Our team is comprised of former judges, former prosecutors, professors and true thought leaders in our fields.
A Comprehensive Team Approach
Given the experience and knowledge we have amongst the attorneys at our firm, we utilize a team approach. Each client benefits from the expertise of several attorneys, not just the one assigned to their case.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our Criminal Defense team has represented over 1,000 clients with charges ranging from DWI to homicide.
Three Convenient Office Locations
Our firm offers clients three convenient locations in Garden City, Manhattan, and Huntington.