Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, a boutique criminal defense, civil rights and commercial litigation firm with offices in New York City and on Long Island, has announced that Alexander R. Klein has been promoted to partner after a unanimous vote of the partners.
“Alex has been an outstanding litigator over these last seven years. We have been impressed with his work ethic, creativity and most importantly the results he has achieved for our clients,” said Bruce Barket, a Barket Epstein founding partner. “Over these years, his practice has included complex matters, not just in state and federal courts at the trial-level, but also in their respective appellate courts—including the Appellate Division and the Second Circuit. We are very pleased Alex has agreed to become a partner of the firm.”
Mr. Klein said, “I have been surrounded by top talent since the day I joined the firm. I look forward to the work that lies ahead.”
After working at the Bank of New York Mellon, Merrill Lynch, and on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Mr. Klein attended the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law with a full merit scholarship and graduated with a dual concentration in litigation and corporate law.
Since then, he has devoted his practice to the intersection of law, business, and finance, where he has successfully litigated a variety of matters, including:
- Securing the exoneration of a client charged in the largest Social Security fraud case in New York City history, where the vast majority of other defendants were convicted;
- Procuring the dismissal of all commercial claims brought against a consumer-goods corporation charged with stealing intellectual property and other assets from a competitor;
- Pre-indictment, and pursuant to extensive negotiations with the federal government, avoiding any felony charges against a former banker at the New York Federal Reserve who was federally investigated on a variety of grounds;
- Defeating a federal government attempt to forfeit tens of thousands of dollars from a client in civil forfeiture, securing the return of all monies taken without the initiation of a single criminal charge;
- Defeating a private college before the Appellate Division in a case concerning the contours of New York’s Enough is Enough legislation;
- Defeating a Fortune 500 company in a variety of matters, at the trial level and in the Appellate Division, in disputes concerning the intersection of criminal law, discovery, and the First Amendment; and
- Recovering millions of dollars on behalf of civil rights and other plaintiffs.
In addition to his white collar and commercial work, Mr. Klein also litigates matters in the firm’s Appellate, Vehicular, and Civil Rights practice groups. In this regard, he has helped obtain scores of criminal dismissals, large settlements on behalf of victims of civil rights abuses, and reversals of criminal convictions on appeal.
Mr. Klein has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in the field of white-collar defense for the last several years in a row.
Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP is recognized throughout the nation as a leader in criminal defense, personal injury law, appellate, commercial litigation and civil rights issues. With more than 200 years of experience and a team of former prosecutors, public defenders and judges, BEKAL is uniquely capable of representing clients in an array of complex legal matters. The firm has offices in Manhattan, Garden City and Huntington, New York. Follow us on Twitter @barketepstein and LinkedIn.