Garden City Sex Crime Defense Attorneys
Our Aggressive Legal Team Can Help You Fight Your Charges
Sex crimes are some of the most serious charges that you can face. If convicted, you could face years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines, and a lifetime of consequences.
If you are facing sex crime charges, you need a strong legal team behind you. At Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, our Garden City sex crime defense attorneys have the experience and skill to help you fight your charges and protect your future. We know that these charges can be life-changing, and we are ready to help you fight back.
Sex Crime Charges in New York
A sex crime is a criminal offense that involves sexual misconduct, inappropriate sexual behavior, or non-consensual sexual acts. These offenses are typically categorized based on their nature and severity.
Common types of sex offenses include:
- Rape: Rape is the non-consensual sexual penetration of another person. It involves sexual intercourse without the explicit consent of one party, often involving force, threats, or coercion.
- Sexual Assault: Sexual assault is a broader term encompassing various non-consensual sexual acts, which may include touching, fondling, or other sexual contact without consent. The severity can vary, from less serious offenses to more egregious acts.
- Child Sexual Abuse: Child sexual abuse involves the exploitation or molestation of minors. It includes activities such as child pornography, statutory rape (sexual contact with a minor), and sexual grooming.
- Sexual Harassment: Sexual harassment refers to unwanted sexual advances, comments, or behavior in a workplace, educational institution, or social setting, creating a hostile or intimidating environment.
- Indecent Exposure: This offense involves intentionally exposing one's genitals or engaging in sexual acts in a public place, often with the intent to shock or distress others.
- Sexting: Sexting refers to the sending or receiving of sexually explicit text messages, images, or videos, often through electronic devices. Legal consequences may arise when sexting involves minors or non-consensual content.
- Voyeurism: Voyeurism involves secretly observing or filming others engaged in sexual acts or exposing their bodies without their knowledge or consent.
- Prostitution and Solicitation: Prostitution involves engaging in sexual acts in exchange for money, while solicitation is the act of seeking or offering sexual services in exchange for money. These offenses may be illegal in some jurisdictions.
- Sexual Exploitation of Vulnerable Individuals: Some sex crimes involve taking advantage of vulnerable individuals, such as those with cognitive impairments or individuals incapable of providing informed consent.
- Online Sexual Offenses: With the rise of the internet, various online sexual offenses have emerged, including cyberbullying, online harassment, and sharing explicit content without consent (revenge porn).
Sex Crime Penalties in New York
Sex crime penalties in New York can vary widely depending on the specific offense, the circumstances, and the defendant's criminal history. New York has a range of potential penalties for sex crime convictions, including imprisonment, fines, and mandatory registration as a sex offender.
Here are some common penalties associated with sex crime convictions in New York:
- Incarceration: The length of imprisonment can vary depending on the offense. For example:
- Rape in the first degree is a Class B felony, which can result in a sentence of up to 25 years in prison.
- Rape in the second degree is a Class D felony, punishable by up to 7 years in prison.
- Sexual abuse in the first degree is a Class D felony, with a maximum sentence of up to 7 years.
- Fines: Convictions for sex crimes can also lead to substantial fines. These fines can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the offense.
- Probation: In some cases, a defendant may receive probation as part of their sentence. While on probation, individuals must adhere to specific conditions and restrictions, such as mandatory counseling and supervision.
- Parole: Parole may be granted after serving a portion of a prison sentence for some sex offenses. Parole conditions may include mandatory counseling and strict supervision.
- Sex Offender Registration: Many sex crime convictions in New York require the offender to register as a sex offender. The level of registration (Level 1, 2, or 3) is determined by the seriousness of the offense. Registration often includes providing personal information and regular updates to law enforcement for a certain period, which may last a lifetime for some offenders.
- Civil Commitment: In some cases, individuals convicted of sex crimes may face civil commitment, where they are confined to a mental health facility after serving their prison sentence if they are deemed to pose a high risk of reoffending.
Why Choose Our Sex Crime Defense Team?
At Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, our sex crime defense attorneys have the experience and skill to help you fight your charges and protect your future. We know that these charges can be life-changing, and we are ready to help you fight back.
We are proud to have a track record of success and can help you fight for your rights. We are ready to fight for you and can help you understand your legal options.
A Nationwide Influence
Barket Epstein's attorneys are regularly featured in the media to discuss their recent cases or offer insight on current events.
Over Two Centuries of Combined Experience
Barket Epstein has 13 attorneys who collectively bring over 200 years of experience to each case. Our team is comprised of former judges, former prosecutors, professors and true thought leaders in our fields.
A Comprehensive Team Approach
Given the experience and knowledge we have amongst the attorneys at our firm, we utilize a team approach. Each client benefits from the expertise of several attorneys, not just the one assigned to their case.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our Criminal Defense team has represented over 1,000 clients with charges ranging from DWI to homicide.
Three Convenient Office Locations
Our firm offers clients three convenient locations in Garden City, Manhattan, and Huntington.