Garden City Homicide Defense Attorneys
Aggressive Legal Representation in Nassau County
Being charged with homicide is one of the most serious situations you can face. The consequences of a conviction are severe and can include life in prison or even the death penalty. If you are facing homicide charges, it is crucial to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side who can protect your rights and fight for your freedom.
At Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, our Garden City homicide defense lawyers have a proven track record of success. We have defended clients in some of the most high-profile cases in New York and have earned a reputation for our aggressive and effective legal strategies. We understand the gravity of the situation you are in and are prepared to do everything we can to help you get the best possible outcome.
Types of Homicide Charges in New York
In New York, homicide is the legal term for the act of killing another person. Homicide charges can be broken down into two categories: murder and manslaughter. The primary difference between the two is the intent of the defendant.
The following are the different types of homicide charges in New York:
- First-Degree Murder: This involves intentional and premeditated killing or deaths that occur during the commission of certain serious crimes. It's the most severe charge and can result in a sentence of life imprisonment without parole or even the death penalty.
- Second-Degree Murder: This encompasses intentional killings without premeditation or deaths that occur during the commission of other felonies. The penalty can be 15 to 40 years.
- Voluntary Manslaughter: This involves a killing that happens in the heat of passion or during a sudden quarrel. Penalties can range from 5 to 25 years in prison.
- Involuntary Manslaughter: This refers to unintentional killings due to reckless behavior or criminal negligence. Penalties vary but can lead to several years in prison.
- Vehicular Manslaughter: This is when someone causes death through negligent or reckless operation of a vehicle. Penalties might include imprisonment, fines, and license suspension.
- Felony Murder: This is a charge that applies when a death occurs during the commission of a felony, even if the death was unintentional. It can lead to severe penalties akin to first-degree murder.
Defending Against Homicide Charges
Being charged with homicide does not mean you will be convicted. The prosecution has the burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and there are many defenses that can be used to challenge the evidence against you.
Some of the most common defenses to homicide charges include:
- Self-defense: If you can prove that you killed another person because you reasonably believed that you were in imminent danger of being killed or seriously injured, you may be able to claim self-defense.
- Defense of others: If you can prove that you killed another person because you reasonably believed that someone else was in imminent danger of being killed or seriously injured, you may be able to claim defense of others.
- Insanity: If you can prove that you were legally insane at the time of the killing, you may be able to avoid a conviction. However, you will likely be committed to a mental institution.
- Intoxication: If you can prove that you were intoxicated at the time of the killing and that the intoxication prevented you from forming the intent to kill, you may be able to avoid a conviction.
- Alibi: If you can prove that you were somewhere else at the time of the killing, you may be able to use an alibi defense.
- Challenging the evidence: There are many ways to challenge the evidence against you, including by arguing that it was obtained illegally or that it is not reliable.
Our Garden City homicide defense attorneys will thoroughly review the facts of your case and develop a strong defense strategy on your behalf. We will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and your future.
Why Choose Barket Epstein?
At Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, we are committed to providing our clients with the aggressive and effective legal representation they deserve. We have a deep understanding of New York homicide laws and know what it takes to win in court. Our attorneys will work closely with you to understand your unique situation and develop a legal strategy that is tailored to your needs.
When you choose Barket Epstein, you can expect:
- Personalized legal solutions: We know that every case is different, which is why we will take the time to understand your unique situation and develop a legal strategy that is tailored to your needs.
- Aggressive representation: We are not afraid to take on the toughest cases and will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and your future.
- Responsive communication: We understand that you are going through a difficult time and will be there to answer your questions and address your concerns as they arise.
- Proven track record of success: We have successfully defended clients in some of the most high-profile cases in New York and have earned a reputation for our aggressive and effective legal strategies.
If you have been charged with homicide, you need to act quickly. The sooner you hire a Garden City homicide defense attorney, the sooner they can begin building your defense. Do not hesitate to let us defend your future inside and outside the courtroom.
A Nationwide Influence
Barket Epstein's attorneys are regularly featured in the media to discuss their recent cases or offer insight on current events.
Over Two Centuries of Combined Experience
Barket Epstein has 13 attorneys who collectively bring over 200 years of experience to each case. Our team is comprised of former judges, former prosecutors, professors and true thought leaders in our fields.
A Comprehensive Team Approach
Given the experience and knowledge we have amongst the attorneys at our firm, we utilize a team approach. Each client benefits from the expertise of several attorneys, not just the one assigned to their case.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our Criminal Defense team has represented over 1,000 clients with charges ranging from DWI to homicide.
Three Convenient Office Locations
Our firm offers clients three convenient locations in Garden City, Manhattan, and Huntington.