New York City Fraud Defense Lawyer
What Is Fraud?
Fraud is a deceptive act in which one party willfully misrepresents information in order to gain an unfair advantage over another party. Fraud can be either civil or criminal, depending on the circumstances, and is generally broken down into two categories: fraud against the government and fraud in the private sector.
At Barket Epstein Kearon Aldea & LoTurco, LLP, our New York City fraud attorneys have the experience necessary to protect our clients from both civil and criminal allegations of fraud. We have the skills and knowledge necessary to navigate the complex legal system and can help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Call our NYC fraud defense attorneys today at (888) 779-0267 or contact us online.
Categories of Fraud
In New York, like in many other jurisdictions, fraud crimes encompass a wide range of illegal activities involving deceit, misrepresentation, or dishonesty for personal gain.
Here are some common types of fraud crimes that occur in New York:
- Identity Theft: Identity theft involves using someone else's personal information, such as their Social Security number, credit card details, or bank account information, without their consent for fraudulent purposes.
- Credit Card Fraud: This type of fraud involves the unauthorized use of another person's credit card or credit card information to make purchases or obtain funds.
- Insurance Fraud: Insurance fraud refers to any fraudulent activity committed to deceive an insurance company for financial gain. This can include filing false insurance claims, staging accidents, or providing false information to obtain insurance coverage.
- Securities Fraud: Securities fraud involves deceptive practices in the stock market or other investment schemes. Examples include insider trading, falsifying financial statements, or making false promises to investors.
- Mortgage Fraud: Mortgage fraud occurs when individuals or groups intentionally provide false information or omit important details on mortgage loan applications to secure a loan or gain financially.
- Health Care Fraud: Health care fraud involves making false claims or providing false information to obtain healthcare benefits, insurance reimbursements, or payments from government health care programs.
- Internet and Cyber Fraud: With the rise of online transactions, internet and cyber fraud have become prevalent. This includes various scams, such as phishing, online auction fraud, fake websites, or identity theft through hacking or malware.
- Wire Fraud: Wire fraud involves using electronic communications, such as phone calls, emails, or online platforms, to deceive individuals or organizations for financial gain. This can include schemes like advance-fee fraud or fraudulent investment opportunities.
- Bank Fraud: Bank fraud encompasses activities aimed at deceiving a bank or financial institution, including check fraud, forging checks or documents, or using false information to secure loans or obtain funds illegally.
- Tax Fraud: Tax fraud involves intentionally providing false information on tax returns to evade paying taxes or obtain undeserved tax refunds.
In New York, fraud is a serious offense with severe penalties. The penalties for fraud can vary depending on the specific type and severity of the fraud committed, as well as the amount involved.
Additionally, if the fraud offense is committed in multiple states or involves perpetrators and/or victims in more than one state, then it may be charged as a federal crime. A federal conviction results in harsher penalties.
How Our Garden City Fraud Defense Attorneys Can Help
When you work with our NYC fraud defense lawyers, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to protect your rights and freedom. Our team has the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
A Nationwide Influence
Barket Epstein's attorneys are regularly featured in the media to discuss their recent cases or offer insight on current events.
Over Two Centuries of Combined Experience
Barket Epstein has 13 attorneys who collectively bring over 200 years of experience to each case. Our team is comprised of former judges, former prosecutors, professors and true thought leaders in our fields.
A Comprehensive Team Approach
Given the experience and knowledge we have amongst the attorneys at our firm, we utilize a team approach. Each client benefits from the expertise of several attorneys, not just the one assigned to their case.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our Criminal Defense team has represented over 1,000 clients with charges ranging from DWI to homicide.
Three Convenient Office Locations
Our firm offers clients three convenient locations in Garden City, Manhattan, and Huntington.